Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Fall Recipes

Here are the recipes finally, Keri!

Pumpkin Apple Streusel Muffins (my family absolutely loved this recipe from the church cookbook! I doubled it and just used a whole can of pumpkin.)
2 1/2 c. flour
2 c. sugar
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cloves
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 c. pumpkin
1/2 c. oil
2 c. peeled, finely chopped apples (I just used 2 apples and didn't measure)

In a large bowl, combine dry ingreds. In a medium bowl, combine eggs, pumpkin, and oil. Add to dry ingreds. Stir until just moistened. Stir in apples. Spoon batter into paper-lined muffin cups 3/4 full. Sprinkle streusel topping. bake at 350 for 35-40 mins. Makes 18 muffins.

Streusel Topping: Mix together 2 T flour, 1/4 c. sugar, and 1/2 tsp. cinnamon. Cut in 3 T butter until mixture is crumbly.

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread (very delicious...I made 1 loaf with cranberries and 1 without)
3 c. flour
1T plus 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (I made my own combo of cinnamon, ginger and cloves)
2 tsp. baking soda
1 1/2 tsp. salt
3 c. sugar
1 can pumpkin
4 eggs
1 c. oil
1/2 c. orange juice
1 c. dried cranberries

Combine flour, spice, soda, and salt in a large bowl. Combine sugar, pumpkin, eggs, juice in medium bowl. Mix until just blended. Add to flour mix. Stir til just moistened. Fold in cranberries. Grease and flour pans well. Bake 350.
2 9x5 pans 60-65 mins.
3 8x4 pans 55-60 mins
5 5x3 pans 50-55 mins

Cool in pans 10 mins. Remove and cool on wire rack.

White Chicken Chili (from Oct. 3, 2007 Hixson Community News....I liked it better than my old recipe)
1 whole chicken or 5-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 large onion, chopped
2 1/2 stalks celery, chopped (I threw in some chopped green pepper instead)
1 T olive oil
4 cans white beans
2 cans Rotel tomatoes with chilies
Reserved chicken broth
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp celery salt (I just used regular)
1/2 tsp. red cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste

Stew chicken in water seasoned with the herbs, salt and pepper (I think I used 6 cups water...I followed the directions on stewing chicken and making chicken broth in my Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook) Tear up or cube chicken and set aside. Saute onion and celery (or peppers) in olive oil until onion is clear. Add chicken and remaining ingreds and simmer, covered for 1 hour. Serve hot with sour cream or grated cheddar cheese.