Sunday, May 20, 2007

My Garden Therapy



I have had two firsts in my life this Spring. My first first is I planted my very first little garden! I have had so much fun working on it! There is a perfect little sunny spot on the side of our house where I decided to put it. However, it was filled with rocks, so I had to dig out all the rocky dirt and replace it with topsoil. I planted three tomato plants: one pink beefsteak, one Roma, one cherry, three green pepper plants, and some broccoli. Scott put a chicken wire fence around it to keep our rabbit family from eating the broccoli. (We have a family of rabbits that have taken up residence under our woodpile in the backyard. Our dog, Cosmo, is going nuts trying to catch one, but every time he goes outside, the wascally wabbits hop under the woodpile before he can get one.)

Also, after Joey and Shelby helped me prepare the soil behind our house next to the deck, I planted some sunflowers and painted daises. (Friday, Joey came over while Ruth went wedding dress shopping with her sister , Amy. Shelby was in heaven, because Joey played all the things she wanted him to, which Cooper never will. Joey enjoyed dressing up like a knight and protecting Shelby from the dragon. Apparently, they also played 'wedding' and Shelby kissed Joey on the cheek, which I found out from Ruth. Sorry Ruth, I promise I checked on them often! Check out the funny blog from May 17 at http://www.laurelwreathsreflections.com/ : )



Tomorrow I am going to add some strawberries. I think the birds and rabbits will probably eat most of them, but we'll see. Anybody have any ideas for keeping them away?



My second first is I have my first hummingbird feeder. Scott got it for me for Mother's Day and I love it! Scott hung it on a shepherd's hook right outside our kitchen window. My Dad showed me how to easily make their food. You just mix 1/4 cup sugar in 1 cup water and microwave for around 2 and 1/2 minutes. Scott, the kids, and I have all had such fun watching them dart up for a drink then dart back out into the woods. Shelby was so excited yesterday when she saw one while she was outside playing!