Thursday, March 29, 2007

We Will Miss Mike Howard

Our family has been mourning the loss of our friend and elder at our church, Mike Howard. He was one of those brilliantly bright spots on humanity that are so few and far between.

When I think of Mike, two scripture verses immediately come to mind that describe how he lived his life here on earth. "Whatever you do, work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men," Colossians 3:23, and "You shall love your neighbor as yourself" Leviticus 19:18b

I will never forget one of the first times I talked with Mike and Robin, they had just come back from a 3 week road trip they took out west with their family. There are not many Dads today that would attempt this type of trip with young children for that long in a van (like my Dad did also when I was young), but that was the kind of Dad he was. We also had the privilege of being in the same small group at church with Mike and Robin for two years. Mike had a strong faith in God, and shared about the ways God had always provided for his family through the difficult times. He was such an encouragement to Scott and I as young parents.

Mike was also unofficially in charge of what I would call the 'moving ministry' at church. Anytime anyone needed help moving, he was the first to volunteer. I will never forget Laura telling Scott and I that Mike was disappointed he couldn't help us move when we moved in with them, because he was out of town. Most people would be glad to get out of having to help move someone. When we moved again three months later, he was the first to volunteer. He not only helped us move, but after everything was in the house, I remember him even starting to put our bed frame together. That was the kind of special person he was. He didn't just do something, he did it 'heartily, as for the Lord.'

Mike and my husband, Scott, played softball on the church team together for the past 5 years. Mike was the pitcher and loved playing ball. I think he also loved coming and talking with the guys and everybody at the game just as much as playing. Softball season this year will definitely not be the same without him. Hixson Presbyterian church without Mike Howard will also never be the same. Mike seemed like he was always in the foyer with a big smile on his face asking, with sincerity, how you were doing. I will always remember the way he said Cooper and Shelby and tickled the kids.

Mike will be sorely missed. My heart goes out to his wonderful family, who we love.
Mike's Obituary