Saturday, February 24, 2007

Our Wood Stove


Our family has been enjoying the warmer weather lately, but the one thing I am going to miss about winter is the beautiful fire Scott has made each cold evening. When we first bought our house back in August, we both thought the large, black wood stove in the family room was rather dirty and ugly looking. We agreed that we would remove the stove and revert it back into a traditional wood fireplace. But after Scott researched wood stoves and fireplaces and learned how much more efficient wood stoves are at heating a house, we decided to go ahead and try out the stove this winter.

Scott developed a new habit this winter. As soon as he got home from work, he would clean out the ashes from the night before and clean the soot off the stove windows to allow the family optimum fire viewing. Cooper and Shelby loved to help out Daddy. Then, Scott would go out back and use his new axe to chop some kindling. I would watch him chop wood through the kitchen window as I made dinner. It always made me smile from ear to ear as I watched him swing his axe. He would come back in, start the fire, then come eat dinner as the fire slowly grew.

I miss this simple routine that had become a part of our family life and I truly miss the warm glow of the fire burning in our wood stove.

Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 Behold, what I have seen to be good and fitting is to eat and drink and find enjoyment in all the toil with which one toils under the sun the few days of his life that God has given him, for this is his lot. Everyone also to whom God has given wealth and possessions and power to enjoy them, and to accept his lot and rejoice in his toil--this is the gift of God. For he will not much remember the days of his life because God keeps him occupied with joy in his heart.